Go Back   Fatal Paint Forums > Paintball > Reviews
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-31-2009, 08:43 PM
Team Fatal Paint

Default Smart Parts SP1 Review

Smart Parts SP1 Review-By Brian "BigBird" Walsh

I had heard a lot of buzz going around on the nets about a couple new low end markers released by Smart Parts that were pretty much brother and sister, in internal design and operation they were the same. On the outside one was sleek and smooth, the other blocky and bold. One was modeled as a speedball marker called the Vibe the other as a mil-sim marker. As the reviews started coming in, it was clear Smart Parts had come up with a sure winner in the low end paintball marker market.

After visiting the local paintball shop a few times and seeing the SP1 on the wall, it started to grow on me and I became increasingly more and more interested in this new marker. My previous experience with my Ion was good so I figured I’d give this marker a try. I have to admit, the first time I held one my first impression was “damn this thing is almost all plastic”, that wasn’t enough to detour me in the end. One day after buying the usual paintball junk I had the shop throw one of these in the bag.

Back at home, it was time to test this sucker out. One of the really cool features of this marker is its ability to use c02. This is very uncommon for a electro-pneumatics of late. The first thing I had to do was switch from co2 mode to hpa mode. Very easy, just hold down the power button when you plug in the battery. I then screwed in the tank and attached the loader. The clamping feedneck works good, It takes a allen wrench to tighten it. Will fit halos to vlocities to revy loaders with ease. I shot some balls in the back yard and noticed the marker had a unique “thunk thunk” sound when it fired. The trigger feels really good and snappy, and is not hard to hit high rates of fire considering it’s a single trigger. The front forgrip/regulator is spaced farther than your typical “speedball” marker, but it still has a compact, tucked feeling while shouldering. It is not bad like a tippman can be,the marker feels short. I noticed right off the bat that the barrel is short and the shroud/body is big. This made it impossible to sight down the barrel. With the stock barrel, and not much trigger time on this thing, I had to aim with the paint. The marker shot really well. No complaints from the first test.

I ran the SP1 through the paces up at the local field during team practice. I was surprised by the accuracy of the first few shots down the test range. My ion out of the box didn’t lay down the grouping this marker was. I was still having to aim with the paint, not being able to sight down the barrel. I threw on a stock Ion barrel and while the sound signature was lowered the shot grouping stayed virtually the same. Sighting down the barrel was doable with the stock Ion barrel. I chose to play with the stock SP1 barrel cause it looked cooler. During game play the marker shot great, no breaks, no studders, nothing, using a revy on semi. This is the first “scary black” marker that I would be comfortable playing on the air-ups with. This thing is hungry for air. You are getting 4 pods(140’s) and a hopper max off a 68cu filled to 3k on a good day. With the dwell being set over 40ms this is not surprising for a marker that’s uses an ion bolt. About the same as a stock Ion in efficiancy. I really wish the dwell was adjustable like on the stock ion board, what do you expect from Smartparts though, they gotta market their “upgrades”.

The second time I used the marker was at a scenario game. As before the marker continued to please me. I used it during the night game, had to cover the power button with my thumb the whole time. Even equiped it with a mag-light in place of the plug on the front. Even though flash lights are useless unless you wanna be a illuminated target, the design for the mag-light addition is true engineering and is just plain cool. I wasn’t soft on it low crawling on my belly across the field for 100’s of yards. Racked up plenty of eliminations and even ambushed the other teams general returning from a diplomatic mission. The markers auto off must be pretty long, cause I must have went a good amount of time in between shootouts during the scenario weekend and never had it shut off on me. My only tiff being a scenario player was the efficiancy. Every other category that can be measured this marker hit high numbers.

I have since put a 14” Invert nightstick carbon fiber barrel on the marker,and tested out the burst and full auto modes. Running it on full auto with the revy you can really tell the low force bolt works. It can pop and skip all day long with no chops. And it runs smooth with a force loader at the 11bps cap. Efficiancy went up a little with the new barrel, and the sound went down. At 14” it is long enough to site down the barrel to get better first shot accuracy.

Maintenance is fairly easy being a bolt out back design. The SP1 has a plastic back cap held by two 1/8th inch allen screws, to get to the main back cap retaining the bolt. Unscrew the main back cap with a 5/16th allen key and pop the bolt out the back by shoving something long through the front.

I must say I’m really happy with this marker for the price it’s fetching. I would have no problem recommending either of the SP1/Vibe variations to a new player. The c02 option and the low force bolt make this marker usable with a very basic, and cheap, shake and shoot and co2 tank setup. Then down the road could be used with a better loader and hpa tank and versitile enough to play in the woods or the airball field. The Sp1 can even be outfitted with a double trigger to make it even more comfortable in high rate of fire enviroments. I’m not very big on milsim accessories, but if that’s your thing, the SP1 has all the rails your heart could desire. I give this marker two thumbs up.
Unread 09-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Team Fatal Paint

Send a message via MSN to Puppet

I havent looked at the guts of an ION in a long time, but this design looks WAY more user friendly. If memory serves, doesnt the ion bolt have front o-rings? Why would they eliminate these?
Unread 09-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Team Fatal Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet
I havent looked at the guts of an ION in a long time, but this design looks WAY more user friendly. If memory serves, doesnt the ion bolt have front o-rings? Why would they eliminate these?
The ion and vibe/sp1 bolts are the same. The stock sp1 bolt is like a half firebolt,as its open face and thin wall and lighter than a stock ion bolt. The breach has orings which seal the front of the bolt. The Ion xe,vibe and sp1 are bolt out back which makes it 10 times easier and quicker to maintain. The board is mounted to the underside of the breach instead of in the grip frame on the sp1 /vibe.
Unread 11-07-2009, 04:56 PM
GuitarCrazyo

Default Smart Parts SP1 Review

Thanks for you suggestions. They are very much appreciated.
We will try to fix this as soon as possible.

Anyways, how about suggestions regarding SEO?